BSS AR133 Active DI Box Battery
The unit includes phantom power and battery supply as standard. Should the phantom power from the console fail or be accidentally switched off, the AR-133 automatically switches over to the internal 9V battery providing uninterrupted use.
The unit is housed in a rugged aluminium extrusion case, with robust polyurethane end-cheeks which give the AR-133 a very distinctive look.
Input connectors are both 1/4″ jack sockets and an XLR socket, the latter meaning that the AR-133 can be used to convert unbalanced signals to a balanced output on XLRs throughout.
The arched case allows cables to run back underneath the unit from the end for neat cable management.
Input attenuation is 0, -20 or -40dB, making the box suitable for instrument, line or amplifier levels on inputs. On the output side, a ground-lift switch is provided for quick solutions to ground-loop problems.
The AR-133 uses an enhanced version of the same audio path as the AR-116, now regarded by many people as a reference standard. The sound quality is legendary, particularly on acoustic and bass guitars.
Numerous applications can be satisfied by the AR-133. For example, as well as the traditional guitar use, the AR-133 can be used with keyboards, DJ consoles, amplifier outputs, and other electronic sources.
An additional bonus is the ability to use the AR-133 as an active balancing device.
- Switchable input attenuation:
- 0dB for guitar-type pickups
- -20dB for line level signals
- -40dB for speaker feeds
- Matches the level and impedance with unity gain without loading the source
- Can drive signals up long cable lengths
- Powered from console phantom power or internal battery
- Automatic switchover to battery if phantom power fails
- Parallel Link Jack output to feed amplifiers directly
- Parallel XLR input for converting unbalanced outputs to balanced lines
- Input Impedance: 1 MOhm (pad at 0dB), 47 kOhm (pad at -20dB or -40dB)
- Max Input: +9dBu (pad at 0dB), +29dBu (pad at -20dB), +49dBu (pad at -40dB)
- Input Connectors: Two Parallel 1/4″ jack connectors (Tip Hot +ve, Sleeve ground), and a parallel XLR connector (unbalanced) (Pin 2 Hot +ve, Pin 1 & 3 ground)
- Output: Transformer Balanced
- Max Output: +8dBu into 600 Ohms or greater
- Output Connectors: XLR3-32 or equivalent
- THD: < 0.005% at 1khz, 0dbu output
- Noise: < -105db unweighted, 22hz-22khz, rms*
- Frequency Response: 30Hz to 20kHz, +0dB/-1dB
- Main/Standby battery: 9 volt PP3 type, preferably alkaline
- Power Consumption: on phantom: less than 7.5mA, on battery: less than 2mA.
- Phantom Power: +20 volts DC to +48 volts DC
Phyiscal & Dimensions
- Unit Weight: 650 gms, excluding batteries
- Dimensions: 59 mm x 124 mm x 143 mm (2.3″ x 4.9″ x 5.6″)